The great thing about this meal is Haitians eat it for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
- 1lb Spaghetti
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 3 tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 1 tablespoon Garlic (chopped)
- 1 cup White Onion (sliced)
- 1 teaspoon Thyme (fresh, leaves only, can use dried)
- 5 Chicken hot dogs (can use tuna or cooked ground beef, if you prefer)
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Chicken Bouillon Powder or 1 Cube
- Salt to taste
- 1 1/2 cups Reserved Pasta Water
- Ground Black Pepper (to taste)
- Crushed Red Pepper (to taste-optional)
Boil pasta according to package. Reserve 1 1/2 cups of the pasta water for later use.
In a heavy large saucepan, heat oil and add tomato sauce or ketchup. (if using ketchup add 1 additional tablespoon) Cook tomato paste for 3 – 4 minutes while stirring occasionally. Add garlic, onion, thyme and sausage and cook for 4 minutes while stirring to blend. Add chicken bouillon and stir. Add pasta and stir to blend while gradually adding the pasta water. Lower heat and cover and cook for another 4-5 minutes. Add crushed red pepper if using. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
This is such a great site with great Haitian recipes.
Thanks for sharing this fantastic recipe! It looks amazing but I think I would like to add tomato puree instead of the tomato paste, as I prefer a more liquid texture of the sauce to go with a spaghetti dish.