Since you ask, we delivered! Here is a simple and quick black mushroom rice recipe with shrimp you can try at home. Although this one includes shrimp, you’re free to try it with any meat or fish.
Black mushrooms which are native to the northern part of Haiti. Considered a delicacy, they are not used in everyday cooking. When boiled, they release a gray-black coloring, giving this recipe and many others a distinctive aroma, flavor, and color.
- 1/2 lbs of shrimp, deveined (optional)
- 3 cups white jasmine rice
- 2 cups dry djon djon (black mushroom)
- 1 1/2 cup frozen green peas
- 1 1/2 cup of cashews
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1/4 cup epis
- 1/4 teaspoon clove powder or 2-3 whole cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt-free herbs
- 1 boullion cube (any flavor)
- 1/2 cup oil
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 1 scotch bonnet
- In a large pot add your djon-djon and 8-10 cups of water and bring it to a boil.
- Once boiled, use a strainer to drain and set the liquid aside.
- Rinse your rice with cold water to remove surface starches and set aside.
- Clean shrimp by removing the shell, head, tail and veins, rinse with water and set aside.
- In a medium pot heat oil on medium heat and sauté garlic.
- After about a minute add the shrimp, dry spices, cashews, epis and green peas and continue to sauté.
- Add 5 1/2 – 6 cups of the reserved liquid to pot along with thyme and scotch bonnet.
- Let it come to a boil then add rice and mix.
- Once liquid has evaporated, lower your heat and cover rice to allow it to fluff up.
- After about 20-25 minutes turn your fire off.
- Let it sit for 10 minutes then serve
We do not own any of the photos. All Photos From The Internet